If you want to find someone who knows a thing or two about overworld tunes, RPGFan is the place to look. It's lucky, then, that Stephen Meyerink and Derek Heemsbergen (both hosts of music-focused podcast Rhythm Encounter) have agreed to lend their expertise and vocal chords in an episode all about exploration themes. We travel to the heights of Hyrule and the depths of Resident Evil: Director Cut's basement, so hold onto your hats.
Visit RPGFan if you want to hear more from cool people like the ones featured in this episode. When it comes to Twitter, you've got options: You can follow Stephen Meyerink, Derek Heemsbergen, RPGFan, or all three (recommended).
How did you like this episode? If the answer is "lots" then consider following Train Station at 8 on Twitter and subscribing on iTunes, or maybe send an email to TrainStationAt8@gmail.com. Hearing from you would make our collective day!
The 8 Questions:
1. What have you been listening to?
2. What makes an effective exploration theme?
3. What are your most memorable exploration themes?
4. What are some lackluster exploration themes, and why don’t they work?
5. How do Eastern and Western games approach exploration themes differently?
6. How can combat music add to (rather than subtract from) exploration music?
7. If you could change one exploration theme, why and how would you do that?
8. What have you been working on?
Stuff we talked about:
- Random Encounter
- Rhythm Encounter
- Twilight Symphony
- The Resident Evil: Director's Cut Basement Theme
Music used in this episode:
- KK Podcasting (Train Station at 8 Theme) - Bryan Kelly
- John Hughes - Anamanaguchi
- Seaside Hill (Act 2) - Jun Senoue
- Open Your Heart - Crush 40
- Unknown From M.E. - Marlon Saunders, Dread Fox
- Funky Dealer - Hideki Naganuma
- Shed Your Travails - Jeremy Soule
- The Great Sea - Kenta Nagata
- Hyrule Field (Ocarina of Time) - Koji Kondo
- Hyrule Field (Twilight Princess) - Toru Minegishi / Asuka Ota / Koji Kondo
- Terra's Theme - Nobuo Uematsu
- Inside the Castle Walls - Koji Kondo
- Title Screen - Karl Brueggemann
- Strange World (Marching Through the Fields) - Koichi Sugiyama
- Termina Field - Koji Kondo